Topic: New Plymouth Cenotaph
Intersection of Queen and St Aubyn Streets , New Plymouth
New Plymouth Cenotaph
Made of local andesite from a Mangorei quarry the New Plymouth Cenotaph (empty tomb) was designed by New Plymouth architect Frank Messenger. It was closely based on Sir Edward Lutyens Cenotaph in Whitehall, London. It was unveiled by the Governor-General, Lord Jellicoe, on 16th Sept 1924.
Public subscriptions were called for and lists of contributions published in the Taranaki Herald - See attached Documents. Although there was some controversy over the siting of the cenotaph, eventually over £1800 was subscribed.
The monument was built by Messrs J.G. M.Russell, J. M. McCracken and A. Handley and the marble wreaths were made by monumental mason, W F Short, NP. The symbolically empty casket is on the top of the structure.
Inscriptions to conflicts in Korea and S.E. Asia were added by sculptor Filipe Tohe in the 1980s
A New Plymouth Borough Roll of Honour - 1914-1919 is attached below as a Document.& as an Image
On both sides (Incised in stone blocks)
S E Asia
(On inset granite blocks below)
(On eastern side below the above 3 small bronze plaques commemorating)
Left Centre Right
V E Day 9th May 1995 The Great War VJ Day 15th August1995
The 50th anniversary of 75th Anniversary 50th Anniversary of
the end of World War II the end of WW II
Ian Pritchard, Frank Messenger:Architect , 1994, ISBN 0-473-02500-0
In the rear right is the former Taranaki Club (1921) designed by Thomas H Bates (See Topics below) and , to the left the Richard Cock Senior seats (see Topics below)