Topic: New Plymouth: Westown Primary School Bell Tower, WW II

Topic type:

Westown Primary School, Sanders Avenue

Westown School Belltower

 Westown Primary Bell Tower  

According to the school's 75th jubilee booklet (2000) the bell was found in England by a Mr Fenton, an associate of Mr White, director of White's Ltd in New Plymouth and a member of the school's PTA. Cast in 1845, it was recovered from the bombed ruins of St Michael's Church in Plymouth and arrived in 1948. The tower was to be erected in 1949 but the build was postponed because of a shortage of cement. (This perhaps explains the date of 1953 on the plaque.)

The bell & tower were unveiled & dedicated 7 August 1955 (See Document below)

The architect was Matthew G B Harvey.

 

Plaque on right side of bell tower

This bell tower

is a memorial to those

of the Westown District

who served in the World War

1939-1945

1953

 

Text below engraved on bell – all within shield

 

Arms

of

the City of

Plymouth

 

   

In Memory of

The Scholars of the Westown School

[New] Plymouth,New Zealand

who died in the War 1939-1945

This Bell

from the Church of St Michael, Devonport

Plymouth, England

destroyed by Enemy Action on the 22nd  April 1941

is presented to the Westown School at the instance of

The Right Honourable Isaac Foot

Lord Mayor of Plymouth

on behalf of the Citizens of Plymouth, England

by the Vicar and Churchwardens

of the Church of St Michael

2nd November 1946

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

New Plymouth: Westown Primary School Bell Tower, WW II


City:New Plymouth
New Plymouth: Westown Primary School Bell Tower, WW II by Ron is Copyright Act 1994