Topic: Military Hatchments - St Mary's Cathedral
Vivian St, New Plymouth
Dean Jamie Allen with the Friendly Maori Hatchment, TDN 11 Feb 2013
St Mary’s Hatchments - Painted by Rev Philip Walsh after an idea by Captain Frederick C Rowan (ex-43rd Regiment & Armed Constabulary) the hatchments were produced between 1878 and 1909. The first one - the 43rd Regiment's - and Rowan's former unit, was installed in 1878. It was 20 years later, in 1898, that the remainder were begun, the last being hung in 1909.
In 1904 the HMS Niger hatchment was unveiled by Captain Robert Falcon Scott - then on his way back to the UK after his first Antarctic expedition.
Units represented are - 12th, 14th, 18th,40th,43rd, 50th, 57th,58th, 65th,68th & 70th Regiments, Royal Marine Light Infantry, Taranaki Militia and Volunteers, HMS Niger, Friendly Maori, Royal Engineers, Royal Artillery.
(See Documents below for proposed move carried out on Sunday 3 March 2013)
Note: Entry to St Mary's is presently restricted while a programme of seismic strengthening is being undertaken