Topic: St John the Baptist Church Hall (1894)

Topic type:

St John the Baptist Hall 2018

2018 View: By Hamish Crimp

This large hall was constructed in 1894 for neighbouring St John the Baptist Church - it was used for sunday school, meetings, and social functions.

The site for the new hall and sunday school-room, adjoining the church, was purchased from owner Major Parris in March 1893 at a cost of £25 - £5 of which was contributed by Mr Parris.

Tenders for St John the Baptist Hall, TH, 14 December 1893, page 3

Taranaki Herald, 14 December 1893

Tenders for construction of the hall were called in December 1893, and by February 1894 it was reported that contractors had made a start with construction. The new building was officially opened on Wedneday 16 May 1894. 

The frontage has been simplified, and restoration to its original state would greatly enhance the heritage and aesthetic values of the building. 

Forester's Hall Waitara circa 1913, Auckland City Libraries 

Circa 1913 View of Church Hall (left), and adjacent St John The Baptist Church (centre), and Foresters Hall (right): Image Courtesy Auckland City Libraries

As a pre-1900 building, any alterations to the original structure, or earthworks on the site, may require archaeological authority from Heritage New Zealand. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

St John the Baptist Church Hall (1894)


City:Waitara