Topic: Waitara Foresters Hall (former) (1897)

Topic type:

Waitara Foresters Hall 2018

2018 view of frontage: By Hamish Crimp

This wooden building was originally constructed in 1897 as a hall for the Waitara chapter of the Ancient Order of Foresters - 'Court Raleigh'. It has been renovated and converted into a private dwelling.

It is currently unclear who designed the building, but the first mention of a Forester's Hall at Waitara was in late 1897, where it was used for meetings, social events, and church services. 

Whilst the front and northern side of the building have been altered, and much of the building clad in corrugated iron, the ceiling, floor and southern wall are largely intact - including a row of double-hung four-light sash windows adjacent to the churchyard. Restoration of the frontage to its original form would greatly enhance the historical and aesthetic values of the building. 

Forester's Hall Waitara circa 1913, Auckland City Libraries 

Circa 1913 View of Hall and Adjacent St John The Baptist Church Buildings: Courtesy Auckland City Libraries

The former Swanndri factory is located next-door, and this building may have been used by the firm at some point. 

As a pre-1900 building, any alterations to the original portion of the hall, or earthworks on the site, may require archaeological authority from Heritage New Zealand. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Waitara Foresters Hall (former) (1897)