Topic: Beckbessinger's Shop, McLean Street (1910)

Topic type:

Beckbessinger's Shop 2018

2018 View: By Hamish Crimp

This two-storied shop was originally constructed for Ernest Beckbessenger in 1910.

The present building replaced an earlier shop constructed about 1889 - it was reported in June 1910 that the "dismantling of Mr E. Beckbessinger's late shop is now complete, and the ground is practically ready for the erection of new premises, for which Messrs Wickham Bros were the sucessful tenderers". 

The shop was officially opened on 31 October 1910, it was described by the Daily News as being "one of the finest stores in the province, being roomy, well laid out, and artistically finished". 

Beckbessinger operated his store on this site until his death in 1920. It was then run by his sons under the name Beckbessinger Bros for a period, and thereafter under a number of different proprietors. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Beckbessinger's Shop, McLean Street (1910)


City:Waitara