Topic: Huinga Hall -1903

Topic type:

Toko Road, Huinga

Huinga Hall -1903

Original built 1903 but with major additions in 1936 and 1973

"The Huinga hall was built in 1903 at a cost of ninety pounds ($180.00) for materials. It was first extended in 1936 with the addition of 10ft to the front of the hall and an entrance porch. In 1953 a ladies cloak room was added. A new supper room and gents toilet was added in 1961. Major extensions were made with the demolition of the old lean-to supper room at the back of the hall and the addition of 21ft to the hall proper in 1973. A new ladies room and a store room were also added at this stage. All the work over the years has in the main been done by voluntary labour. The hall still remains a major social centre for the district and is used regularly for Women's Division, Indoor Bowls, Church services, Sunday School, Table Tennis and school functions."

From: Edwards, John & John Binnie: Huinga, 75thJubilee 1902-1977,1977

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion