Topic: Meremere

Topic type:

Taranaki

Marae-Pā

Meremere

Kei-Whea

Ohangai Road, R.D.12, Hawera

Maunga

Taranaki

Awa

Manawapou / Ingahape

 

Pukeroa

Wharenui

Tataurangi

Wharekai

Hikurangi

Waka

Aotea

Hapu

Ngāti Hine (Ngāti Hinekoropanga)

Iwi

Ngāti Ruanui

Tikanga-Marae

Hui Ora…..Pāeke, Hui Mate…Pāeke, Tataurangi, He waiata tangi – Nā Timotu

References

(Te takenga mai o ngā kōrero)

Cresswell, J.C.M. 1977 Māori Meeting Houses of the North Island.  Auckland P.C.S. Publications TRCM572.76 CRE, pg.106

Tataurangi

Hikurangi pg. 106

Bromley, A.P.C. 1981 Hawera District Centenary: Hawera an outline of the development of a New Zealand Community by A.P.C. Bromley, Hawera, Centennial Committee of the Hawera District Council. TRCT993.488 BRO Pg. 187

Rigby Allan Files - Loc. Kainga by Wairere Road: destroyed March 1865 - Ref: (17) J.S.

Public Files TRC - Māori Pā  / Marae

History

Meremere marae is situated on a 4 ha (approx) Mokoia block within the Ngāti Hine hapu area which is situated ten kilometres south east from the township of Te Hawera. This region is known as the Ohangai / Meremere district and the marae is sometimes referred to as Ohangai Marae. TaNgāta whenua of today believe that Meremere marae was developed due to the area being densely populated. A Pā near the beach of Pukeroa (an area seaward from the Mokoia school) was the original meeting place for the common use and benefit of the Ngā Ariki Hapu of the Ngāti Hine tribe. Pukeroa was the fishing ground used to sustain the people of the area. The population at Pukeroa decreased while the population at Ohangai / Meremere gradually increased. For this reason, a formal communal marae was established.

 As a result from the Report of the Commision 29 June 1927, which was attended by Sir Maui Pomare, an annual sum of 5000 pounds was awarded from the Government to benefit the tribes whose lands were confiscated throughout Taranaki (1). These funds helped establish many marae estates around the Taranaki district including the wharenui at Meremere Marae. The first wharenui stood in close proximity of the present wharenui. The meeting house that stands today has the sign Tataurangi Tuarua. This meeting house was opened on the 18th day of May 1936. 1. Houston, J. 1965, Māori Life in Old Taranaki, Wellington, A.H. & A.W. Reed TRCM993.48 HOU, pg. 127.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion