Topic: Kanihi-Māwhitiwhiti

Topic type:

Hastings Road, Okaiawa

Marae-Pā

Kanihi-Māwhitiwhiti

Kei-Whea

Hastings Road, Okaiawa

Maunga

Taranaki

Awa

Waingongoro

 

Ohawe

Wharenui

Kanihi

Wharekai

(Meeting house and dining hall combination)

Kōhanga-Reo

Te Ramanui o te Atua (Opened 1992)

Waka

Aotea

Hapu

Umutahi (name of the whenua) / Kanihi

Iwi

Ngā Ruahine-Rangi

Tikanga-Marae

Hui Ora…...Pāeke

Hui Mate…Pāeke

References

(Te takenga mai o ngā kōrero)

Cresswell, John C. M. 1977. Māori meeting houses of the North Island.Auckland: P.C.S. Publications. TRCM572.76 CRE

Public Files TRC - Māori Pā/Marae/Kanihi-Māwhitiwhiti

Rigby Allan Files

  • Locality on block known as ‘Te Rua o te moko’
  • Half a mile off Austin road near the shingly fold of the Waingongoro River known to Māori as ‘OPārua’
  • Māwhitiwhiti (Settlement)
  • Location Approx. 5 miles north of Waihi, near the Waingongoro River. Ref. West Coast, Plan of the confiscation Territory 1880 Map
  • Settlement near Hastings Road destroyed Jan 1866, Shown on Waimate Plains map 1880 copied by Fred Coleman 1937. (5) J.S.
  • Te Rua o te moko, related to Māwhitiwhiti. Name given to block of land bordering the ………River. Loc. Inland from Māwhitiwhiti on river flat.

 

History

Rigby Allan Files

- Maraerotuhia – Also name of the meeting house.

- Loc. Pukearuhe on Len Herberts farm later Garlicks.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion