Topic: St Andrew's Church (Inglewood)

Topic type:

The foundation stone of this Anglican church was laid by Bishop Averill on November 30th, 1922 (St Andrew's Day) and opened and dedicated by him on June 28th, 1923.

The church was designed by Messenger, Griffiths and Taylor of New Plymouth and built by Mr A.O. Brown of Wanganui. The cost was slightly under £3,300.

This is the second Anglican Church to be built in Inglewood. The first opened for worship on October 16th, 1877, a wooden building designed by Archdeacon Walsh, the then vicar of Waitara. It was situated in Cutfield Street and at some stage was doubled in size and a bell-tower added. In 1918 the church and the vicarage were moved to the present site on Rata Street.

For more information please see "A Short History of the Parochial District of Saint Andrew's Inglewood,  " (TRCT283 BRO), "St Andrew's Anglican Church Inglewood: Historical Notes 2009" (TRCT283.93482 WIL) and "All About St Andrew's Anglican Church" (TRCT993.482 LAM). All available in the Taranaki Research Centre. 

* St Andrew's Church closed in January 2019 as a result of a seismic assessment report giving the building only 20% of the new building standard.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion