Topic: St Chad's Anglican Church

Topic type:

The land on which St. Chad's stands in Omata Road, Westown,  was purchased from Mr. E. Marfell in 1922. One acre 35.9 perches was transferred to St.Mary's Parochial Trust Board for £200.

The foundation stone was laid by Bishop Cherrington on 4 December, 1933. The firm Griffths and Stephenson submitted plans for the church - although it was actually designed by Mr.W.N.Stephenson. The cost of the building was £855 and the furnishings £160. It was built by the firm Lovell and Rawlinson.

The church was consecrated by the Bishop of Waikato, the Rev. C.A. Cherrington on 3 February, 1935.

The adjacent hall was built and dedicated in 1963. (£4,406)

The first extension to the church (south side) took place in 1969-70. A second extension to the north and east took place in 1978. Another major alteration, returning the church to the original roofline was completed in 1992.

For more detailed information please view the link below to the St Chad's website. The Taranaki Research Centre also holds a publication produced for the Golden Jubilee in 1983.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion