Topic: Whiteley Memorial Church 1898

Topic type:

Whiteley Memorial Church 1898 

This church, named the Whiteley Memorial Church after the late Rev. John Whiteley, was located on the corner of Liardet and Courtenay Streets.  It was opened on 15 December,1898 in a service led by the Rev.J.Morley. The cost of the building was £2,625 18s 11d, almost all of which had been raised by opening day, leaving only a small debt to be paid off.

It replaced a smaller church which was moved to one side and converted to a Sunday School Hall.

On 18 February, 1959 the Whiteley Memorial Church was destroyed in a fierce blaze; despite the fire station being located just across the road (see linked topic).

Four years later, in October 1963 the present Whiteley Memorial Church opened (see linked topic).

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Whiteley Memorial Church 1898


City:New Plymouth