Topic: Hurdon Chapel (Tukapa Street)

Topic type:

Rack Plan 73 (Edited portion) 

A Primitive Methodist Chapel was erected on Elliot Road (now Tukapa Street) in 1853 on land donated by Mr Peter Elliot. His quarter acre section was matched by another from Mr. J.Dingle, together with a small portion of Crown Land, to complete the churchyard.

Rack Plan 73 (above) shows the location of the chapel in the churchyard, part of section 54, Grey District.

The original church was replaced by a new one in 1858. Tenders were called in September 1858, and the first service in the new chapel was conducted on 2 January, 1859.

The Taranaki Herald advertised regular Methodist services at "Hurdon" up until December 1874. Another source records that the chapel was moved to Inglewood in 1872. This date is perhaps too early for Inglewood and 1875 appears more likely.

The first burial was John Looney in 1860. Although the cemetery was closed for public use for many years it has recently been re-opened.

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion