Topic: St Cuthbert's Anglican Church (Manaia)

Topic type:

St Cuthbert's Anglican Church

The original St Cuthbert's Church was a Frederick de Jersey Clere design built on Tauhuri Street in 1894. It was built by Messrs. Burns and Holder at a cost of £217.0.0. It opened on May 6th and was consecrated on 23 September, 1894 by Bishop Mules of Nelson. After the present church was erected it was used as a parish hall. It was later sold and converted into a private residence.

Planning for a new church had begun as far back as the 1920s when a building fund was established. However, it was not until the late 1950s that sufficient funds were available to begin work.

The architect engaged was well-known Manaia identity, Mr J.W.Brimblecombe (see linked topic). The church was opened and dedicated on 18 June,1960. The church cost £13,000, and when fully paid for, was consecrated on 19 March, 1972 in a service conducted by the Bishop of Wellington, the Rt Rev.H.W.Baines.

As the old St Cuthbert's bell was cracked the Manaia Fire Brigade donated their old fire bell, originally cast in Dunedin in 1910

In 1983 a new lounge was added by Maurice Cowling and members of the Parish, at a cost of $15,000.

(The vertical files at the Taranaki Research Centre hold brief biographies of the vicars who have served at St Cuthbert's: Church-Anglican-St Cuthbert's)

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

St Cuthbert's Anglican Church (Manaia)


City:Manaia