Topic: St Luke's Church (Tikorangi)

Topic type:

St Luke's Church , Tikorangi

St Luke's Anglican Church, Tikorangi 

Tikorangi was established as a military settlement in 1865 and early church services were held in private homes or the school.

In 1899  Mr.J. W. Foreman donated a small corner section of his farm as a site for an Anglican church. Along similar lines to the Okato church, it was designed by Frank Messenger and built by Mr Grayling. It was completed in 1900 and dedicated by Archbishop Cowie, on 18 February 1901.

The two oak trees in the grounds were planted in 1925 by Reverend G. H. Gavin, Waitara Parish vicar and with the assistance Tikorangi school pupils.  They are a memorial to  Prime Minister William "Farmer Bill" Massey (1856-1925).

The single-furrow plough memorial to Tikorangi settlers in the church grounds was unveiled in 1971. (See Topics below)

 Reference: Adams-Smith, Diana:  St Luke's Church, Tikorangi: The First 100 Years, [2001]

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

St Luke's Church (Tikorangi)


City:Tikorangi
St Luke's Church (Tikorangi) by Ron is Copyright Act 1994