Topic: St John the Baptist (Waitara)

Topic type:

The foundation stone for this Anglican church in Waitara was laid by the Right Reverend J.L. Holland on the 7th of November 1959.

The centenary booklet for St Johns advises that the basic plan of the church was drawn by Rev. Middlebrook in association with the Christchurch firm of C.Luney. The Christchurch firm built the church at a cost of £11,000 - the first church the firm had constructed. The church was dedicated on July the 16th 1960. The design of the church is based on the Colonial Churches in North America.

In 1878 the foundation stone was laid for the first Anglican church in Waitara. It was dedicated on October the 2nd 1879 and consecrated by Bishop Cowie in 1894. The land for the church was given by Mr Phillip Walsh and it is thought he was also responsible for the design and supervision of the construction.

 The final service in the church was held on the 11th of October 1959, following which it was demolished to make way for the present church. While the church was built services were held in the hall (built in 1895) adjacent to the church.

For more information please see "St John the Baptist, Waitara 1876-1976" (TRCT283 ALE)

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

St John the Baptist (Waitara)