Topic: St Joseph's Catholic Church of Waitara

Topic type:

St Joseph's Catholic Church is located on Nelson St in Waitara. It was opened by Archbishop McKeefry on 15 February 1959.

The architect was Mr. R. Roberts of Hawera and the builders Jones and Sandford Ltd. The cost was £34,564. (Note: the Taranaki Herald reports the cost as £27,500)

The first Catholic Church in Waitara was erected in Memorial Place and was dedicated by Archbishop Redwood on 1 March 1908. The church was built by Messrs. Pikett and Wilkie at a cost of £475. The architect was Mr. Jones of New Plymouth.

For more information please see "A History of the Catholic Faith in Waitara and Districts" by Paddy Bradford (TRCT282 BRA).

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion