Topic: St Aubyn Methodist Church (1892/1905)

Topic type:

Located at 306 St Aubyn Street, this building was built in 1892 and was first known as the South Road Sunday School. At this time St Aubyn Street ended at the intersection with Cutfield Street and then became South Road.

At a meeting of the South Road Sunday School Committee on the 14th of October 1891 it was decided to erect a building 14 x 20 feet, with 3 windows on each side. The architect James Sanderson agreed to draw up plans for half the usual cost. Mr G. Cliff was the builder and the cost was one hundred and six pounds, 11 shillings. Mr Jones provided timber and Mr T Veale the labour. Two opening services were held on Sunday the 7th of February 1892.

In 1905 the building was extended and two rooms added at the northern end. Again, the work was carried out by Mr. Cliff.  

At some stage the name changed to South Road Church (quite possibly in 1905, at the time of the alterations) and then finally to St. Aubyn Church.

The final service was held on the 29th of June 1980. (St Aubyn Methodist Church: A Brief History, by D.A.Holland)

The building was purchased by Val Deakin in 1981 and has been used as a dance studio since then. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion