Topic: All Saints' Anglican Church (Eltham)

Topic type:

The first Anglican church in Eltham was located on a site in Mountain Road donated by Messrs. E.W. and G.H. Buckeridge. The foundation stone was laid on All Saints' Day, 1896.

In 1901 the church was moved to its present site on King Edward Street. Not long after this a new church was built at a cost of £600.

This new church was designed by well known Wellington architect, Frederick de Jersey Clere. According to Susan Maclean, in her book about de Jersey Clere, the church was dedicated on the 26 November, 1903. The church was consecrated just over two years later on 13 January, 1906.

The old church became the Parish Hall and Sunday School. In 1958 the Parish Hall was demolished and Mr P.J.O'Regan, of Hawera, built a new hall at a contract price of £10,762.

In 1952 the church was extended by 609sq ft on the King Edward Street (side) elevation. In 1976-77 the church was clad in brick, and the roof clad in coloursteel.  A new porch (35.2m2) was also added in 1998.

For more information, "All Saints Anglican Church Centennial 1996" by Elizabeth Davies is available in the Taranaki Research Centre (TRCT283.93488 DAV).

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

All Saints' Anglican Church (Eltham)


City:Eltham