Topic: St Mary's Church (Hawera)

Topic type:

St Mary's Church (Hawera) 

 

The foundation stone for this Anglican church in Hawera was laid on 8 September 1902 by Bishop Wallis.

The church was opened with a series of services on 1 July 1903. Evensong featured a sermon by Archdeacon Cole with five hundred in attendance and many turned away.

It is located on the site of the original St Mary's Church and was designed by local architects Messrs. Warren and Stephenson.

In 1993, when a new foyer was added to the church building, some fittings from St James' Church, Mokoia were incorporated in the design. The complex was blessed by the Most Reverend Archbishop Brian Davis on 15 August 1993.

The first St Mary's in Hawera was a wooden building erected in 1881. The builder was Mr.Duffil, a local builder. The church was opened on 11 December 1881 by the Right Reverend the Bishop of Wellington. The final service was held on 17 August 1902.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion