Topic: St John the Evangelist Church (Omata)
This small Anglican Church in Omata was opened on the 14th of February 1875 by Archdeacon Govett of New Plymouth.The church was designed by George Robinson and built by Thomas Penwarden.
It is described in the New Zealand Historic Places Trust report as being "...typical of many country churches of the period which reference Gothic Revival architecture....simple design consisting of a porch, nave, vestry, with a small sanctuary built off the east end."
A strong gale knocked the church over in 1894 and when re-erected the church was considerably smaller due to damage at the eastern end.
In 1906 a small sanctuary was added to this east end and a small belfry added over the west gable. The war memorial obelisk was erected outside the gate in about 1920. Major renovations were undertaken in 2003.
The first St John's Church in Omata was built in 1848 on a section on Waireka Road. It fell into disrepair following the Taranaki Wars.
At present the NZHPT are calling for submissions on the proposal to register the church as a historic place.