Topic: St Joseph's Church (New Plymouth)

Topic type:

St Joseph's Church (New Plymouth) 

St Joseph's Church on Powderham Street was opened and dedicated on the 31st of August 1969.

The foundation stone was laid on the 29th of September 1968 by the Most reverend P.T.B. McKeefry, Archbishop of Wellington.

It is the fourth Catholic church to be built on the site. The property was bought in 1862 and the first church transported from its original site in Courtenay Street.

The second church was built on the site and opened in 1875. Later a third church was opened in 1895 and was the centre of Catholic life until it was demolished in 1968 to make way for the present church.

The architect was Mr D.W. Robinson of Laurenson, Robinson and Jim Boon of Hawera and the construction was completed by Roebuck Construction Company Ltd.

Of particular note in the interior are the Stations of the Cross which are the work of Michael Smither.

For more information please see the "Dedication of St. Joseph's Church" (TRCT282 DED), available in the Taranaki Research Centre.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion