Topic: YWCA & YWCA Community House (1929/1934)

Topic type:

Powderham Street, New Plymouth

 

Y.W.C.A. & Y.W.C.A. Community House

Powderham Street, New Plymouth

1929/1934

 

These offices and facade for the YWCA & YMCA, designed by Thomas Bates, were added in 1934 to the existing 1929 Y.W.C.A. hall (at the rear) to create the present Community House. It was for many years shared by both Y.M. and Y.W.C.A. The Bates additions were opened by the President of the Board of Directors - Mrs A Alexander on 14 August 1934.

A fuller early history of the New Plymouth YWCA & YMCA may be found in the 1934 opening programme in Documents below

This building is currently (February 2012) occupied by the organisation "Waves" which was established to support the health and well being of young people.

 Plans held by Puke Ariki - ARC2014-011, M7/19

 



Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

YWCA & YWCA Community House (1929/1934)


City:New Plymouth
YWCA & YWCA Community House (1929/1934) by Kete Site Admin is Copyright Act 1994