Topic: Somerton's Tearooms/ Nelson's Bakery - 1926/1930

Topic type:

Rata Street, Inglewood

Somerton's Tearooms/ Nelson's Bakery

Rata/Cutfield Streets, Inglewood

1926/1930

The bakehouse at the rear (Cutfield Street) was built in 1926 and the architects were noted New Plymouth firm Messenger, Griffiths & Taylor, whilst the tearooms on Rata St were designed by the capable T. H. Bates and constructed in 1930. Boon Bros were the contractors for at least one of the buildings. Thomas (Tommy) Nelson bought the business in 1945 and it was operated by his family for 43 years.

 For tender notices see: Taranaki Herald, 23 June 1926, page 7; Taranaki Herald, 11 January 1930, page 7

Discuss This Topic

There are 1 comments in this discussion.

Read and join this discussion

join this discussion