Topic: Truby King Memorial Plunket Rooms - 1949-2013

Topic type:

Courtenay Street, New Plymouth

New Plymouth Plunket Rooms

Courtenay Street, New Plymouth

1949

On the 30th of June 1949 a permit was issued for the construction of a building for the Plunket Society. The builders were to be Boon Bros Ltd. and the estimated cost was £6,878.

T.H. Bates originally designed a two-storey building in 1947. According to the minutes of the local Plunket branch these plans were unacceptable to Plunket headquarters.Bates then re-drew the plans so that a second storey could be added at a later date.

The new Plunket Rooms were finally opened on the 24th of July 1950 by Dr. C. Taylor, Director of Hospitals.

 The building was demolished in July 2013 to provide car parking for the adjacent New World supermarket.

A signboard to mark the location was erected in late May 2014. (See linked image)

 

 

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Truby King Memorial Plunket Rooms - 1949-2013


City:New Plymouth
Truby King Memorial Plunket Rooms - 1949-2013 by Kete Site Admin is Copyright Act 1994