Topic: "Hapurunui", Burgess House - c1930
Hapurunui was originally built for the prominent New Plymouth solicitor Oliver Samuel. It was sold in 1919 to then Mayor of New Plymouth Charles Burgess and his wife Ann. The generous couple gifted the house and grounds to the New Plymouth Borough Council in 1936. Bates designed the substantial alterations to the original bay villa on the site - see below.
Hapurunui was used, at various times, as a restaurant and a venue for functions and weddings until 2012 when the New Plymouth District Council sold the building for removal. It was moved to a new site - a back section on Annandale St, Moturoa, on 9 Feburary 2013 (see Document below) The house is visible from Moulton Street West (off Rainsford Street)
(Puke Ariki Collection, PHO2004-217)