Topic: Collier's Buildings - 1926

Topic type:

Devon Street, New Plymouth

 

Collier's Building

 

Devon Street, New Plymouth

 

1926

 

Collier's Music House was established in New Plymouth in 1875 and at one stage had branches in Opunake, Hawera, Whanganui, Taumarunui and Palmerston North. This building once housed Taranaki's first radio station, 2YB, which began broadcasting from here in 1929. In 1932 the station moved to the Empire Building in King Street (now the Victoria Building) from where it operated until 1952.

A permit was granted for the Collier's building on the 12th of September 1925. The estimated cost was 3,700 pounds and the builder was Frank Amoore.

Collier's moved from the building in 1979.

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 2 comments in this discussion.

Read and join this discussion

join this discussion