Topic: Chatsworth House/Clarke Memorial Hostel, Powderham Street (1916)

Topic type:

This building at 62 Powderham Street was built in 1916 for Mrs Caroline Howell. A permit was issued to her on July 24 ,1916 for a boarding house on town section 679. The estimated cost was £2,500 and it was designed and built by the Wanganui firm, Messrs. Howell Bros. 

It replaced a two-storey wooden building, Chatsworth House, which was destroyed by fire on 7 February, 1916. This old building was once the Windsor Castle Hotel, located on Bulteel Street. The Windsor Castle, built in 1881, was transported from Bulteel to Powderham Street in August, 1892. The new owner, Mrs Beeson, had the building renovated and it opened as a boarding establishment in November,1892.

The replacement building, pictured above, was also known, to begin with, as Chatsworth House. Later the Y.W.C.A. purchased the building and opened a hostel, which was officially opened by the Governor-General, Lord Jellicoe on 28 October, 1921. It was given the name Clarke Memorial Hostel in memory of the former mayor, James Clarke, who was killed in a plane crash in November 1920.

From the mid 1970s, and possibly earlier, the building was used as commercial premises.

Apart from the external colour (2012), its appearance is little changed today. A matching fence along the street boundary (seen in a linked image) has been demolished.

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion