Topic: Government Life Insurance Building, Cnr Devon St East and Liardet St (1927)

Topic type:

This two storey concrete building on the corner of Devon Street East and Liardet Street was built in 1927. A permit was issued to "Devon Buildings Limited" on 26 January, 1927 for the construction of premises on town section 895. The builders were J.T. Julian and Son (Manager F.W. Whitaker) and the estimated cost was £7,500.

The N.P.D.C. Heritage Study states that it was built to house the Government Life Insurance Office. However the records of Fred Butler, held in the Puke Ariki archives, indicate that from its opening in 1927 the building also housed a number of other tenants. The records also suggest the building was  known as the "Devon Buildings". 

The study describes it as "a modest piece of classical design, significant principally for its appropiate scale, interesting silhouette to the parapet and streetscape value on a prominent city corner".

In 2003 the ground floor was converted into the "Grumpy Mole" bar and restaurant. Following its closure the "Upside Down' bar opened in 2010, however this closed in early 2011. In late 2012 the nightclub "Club 55" opened on the ground floor.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion