Topic: Taranaki Club, Egmont Street (1898/1906)

Topic type:

This building, in its original one-storey form, was the first permanent premises of the Taranaki Club.

It was built by R.Coleman in 1898 and designed by the Auckland firm, McKay, Fripp & Goldsbro. The first floor was added in 1906, designed by James Sanderson.

According to the Heritage Study its architectural interest is as a "substantial timber building with a relatively unmodified exterior. Impressive in scale and form, although this is somewhat reduced by proximity to the Hookers Building".

The Taranaki Club moved to their new premises on Queen Street in 1922. Apparently this building was used as sample rooms and a cabaret in the 1930s.

The R.S.A. moved into the building after World War II. In October 1990 the building was sold for $175,000 to the New Life Christian Centre. The R.S.A. then moved to their new clubrooms in the Te Ara Building in Devon Street East.

It is now home to the City Life Church (formerly New Life City Church).

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion