Topic: New Plymouth Police Station (1962)

Topic type:

In 1957 it was decided that New Plymouth needed a new police station. It was to be a reinforced concrete building built at a cost of £75,000  - a standard design being introduced for several other stations.

After several delays the new station, on Powderham Street, opened in 1962.

The police had occupied their previous premises in Robe Street for 55 years. It was sold in April 1960 for £106 to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints which demolished the building and sold the timber to raise church funds. While the new station was being built the police were housed in a former boarding house (linked topic) next to the old station.

Nearly fifty years on and the police have again outgrown this station. An announcement was made in late 2010 by Police Minister, Judith Collins, that the present station would be demolished and a new building erected within two years.

In January 2012 the police moved to temporary premises in St.Aubyn Street while the new police station was built.

(See linked topic New Plymouth Police Station 2013)

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion