Topic: Sole Bros Building (1928)

Topic type:

Sole Bros Building 

Located on the corner of Devon Street West and Currie Street. A permit was issued for the construction of "Shops and Offices for Mssrs Sole Bros" on 15 May, 1928. An early tenant of the main corner shop was Bamforths (fruiterer),  H.W.Frost (dentist) also leased rooms, and for many years there was a billiard saloon on the first floor.

Mr Jimmy Joe bought Bamforths in 1947 and the renamed XYZ fruit and vegetable shop operated from the corner site for nearly 30 years.

The Taranaki Butchery, run by Harold Tuson, operated from the building from the mid 1950s until its closure in 1976.

ASB Bank is the major tenant on the corner and has its name on the parapet. Other tenants at present (2011) include the French cafe/bakery "Petit Paris" and "Michael Hill" jewellers on the ground level and the restaurant the "Laughing Bhudda" on the first floor.

The name F.E.Gooder (Wellington) appears on plans for the building held at Puke Ariki (ARC2006-59).

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion