Topic: Abram's Building, 11 Devon Street East (1911)

Topic type:

11 Devon Street East 

This attractive two-storied building was constructed for New Plymouth Chemist William Fraser in 1911 - the architects were well known New Plymouth partnership Sanderson and Griffiths.

On 13 June 1911, the Taranaki Daily News published an article describing the new building in great detail - it was noted that "the premises are built in ferro-concrete, and have a fine elevation to Devon Street". Inside the store, large wood and glass cabinets were stocked with a range of medicines, and a large stock of photographic equipment.

The building permit for the premises is probably #542, granted on December 9 1910, to the Trustees of Captain Kings Estate for "Shop Premises" on Devon Street - no section or construction cost is listed, however the architect is listed as Sanderson and Griffiths.

Abram's Pharmacy 1923 (Puke Ariki colelction) 

Circa 1924 View: Puke Ariki Collection

The above photograph was taken about 1924, and shows it occupied by 'Abram' and trading as a chemist - Mr Herb Abram was from Wanganui, and purchased Fraser's business in October 1920.

The heritage study calls the building "a carefully executed classical design, well proportioned and with the exterior still in relatively original condition."

The shoe repair shop "The Irish Cobbler" occupies one of the two retail shops on the ground floor (2017).

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion