Topic: Richmond Estate (Tasman Hotel)

Topic type:

Richmond Estate 

This building was constructed in 1964 for Taranaki Brewery Ltd. (later bought out by Dominion Breweries) as the Hotel Tasman.  The architect was Edward Borrell and the structural engineers, Brodie and Thomson. The contactors were the New Plymouth firm, Riddick Bros & Still Ltd.

For more details about the opening of the Hotel Tasman see the Taranaki Herald June 25, 1964 - available on microfilm in the Taranaki Research Centre, Puke Ariki.

The old "Hotel Tasman" was demolished after the the new hotel was completed. See links below for images.

The first hotel on this site was the Beach Hotel in 1873 with the licensee Francis McCusker. When the railway came to New Plymouth in 1875 the hotel's position near the station resulted in a change of name. First it was the Railway Hotel, then the Terminus, next the Tasman Hotel, and finallly the eight-storey Hotel Tasman.

It was converted to apartments in 1995.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion