Topic: Barry's Building (1923)

Topic type:

Barry's Building  

A two-storeyed reinforced concrete building, a typical commercial building of the 1920s. While the upper-level facade has remained unaltered, shops on the ground floor have been subject to a number of changes.

A building permit was issued on 5 September 1923 for the construction of commercial premises on this site, section 654. The applicant was Daniel Barry (most likely Daniel J.Barry, a retired farmer - brief obituary attached) and the builder was Coleman & Sons. The estimated cost of construction was £3,400. 

For many years it was known as Barry's Building. Plans for the original building are held in N.P.D.C. building files. The architects were the prominent architectural firm Messenger, Griffths and Taylor, who called for tenders for construction of the building in late July 1923.

An advertisement (linked image) in 1971 shows the building was known as "Building114". A number of business' occupying the building have small advertisements below the image of the building.

Chequers Tearooms were one of the original tenants, they finally gave up their lease in 1967.

Current tenants on ground floor are Momo Sushi (opened 2010) and the Empire Tea Rooms which has been there for some years (2005?). The shop at the northern end is now a gift shop (2017), the previous occupier was a bar called the Powder Room.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion