Topic: Prestney's Villa, 162 Tukapa Street (circa 1903-05)

Topic type:

162 Tukapa Street 2017

2017 View: By Hamish Crimp

This attractive villa residence was probably constructed for owner Richard Langman between 1903 and 1905.

A certificate of title for Lot 13 of Part Section 27, Town of Tukapo, was issued to Cholwill Billing on the 19th of July 1901. The property was purchased by Westown settler Richard Langman on the 10th of October 1903, and valuation rolls confirm no dwelling was present on the section at this time. 

The house appears to have been constructed by September 1905, with Langman first advertising for let a six-roomed house a mile and a half from town - the property was advertised for sale and let several times of the next few years.

On the 19th of September 1918 the property was transferred to the Public Trustee. It seems the property may have been auctioned, with ownership transferred to farmer Joseph Wilton on the 17th of July 1919. Wilton only retained ownership for a couple of months before the property again changed hands and was transferred to farmer James Cole Davidson on the 20th of November 1919. Ownership was then transferred to nurseryman Robert William James Davies on the 14th of June 1920. 

During December 1920 cabinetmaker Robert James Prestney purchased the property from Davies; the house would become the first home of Robert and his wife Alice Jane (nee Hamilton), who were married the same year.

Robert Prestney would live in the villa until his death on the 23rd of December 1983, aged 88 years - spending a massive 63 years at the house. Following Robert's death the property was transferred to his sons and subdivided the following year.

See: CT TN45/91; DP1619; DP6041

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion