Topic: 36B Hobart Drive (1923)

Topic type:

9 Bulkeley Terrace 2017 During Removal

View of House During Removal on 27 April 2017: By Hamish Crimp

This bungalow was constructed for jeweller Charles William Macdonald in 1923 - it was originally located at 9 Bulkeley Terrace, and was relocated to its present Hobart Drive location in 2017. 

A permit was granted by the New Plymouth Borough Council to Charles William Macdonald on the 3rd of September 1923 for the construction of a house on Bulkeley Terrace - F. Trevorrow was the builder, and the estimated construction cost was £750.

Charles Macdonald lived in the house until his death on the 17th of February 1940. 

On the 27th of April 2017 the house was moved to its new site by Central House Movers for owners Seton Pennell and Hayley Marsh. Seton and Marsh were renting number 7 Bulkeley Terrace, and purchased this house from Rahotu farmers who planned to move it off the site to make way for a modern residence. 

See: Taranaki Daily News, 20 April 2018

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion