Topic: James Scanlan's Villa, 58 Victoria Road (1909)

Topic type:

58 Victoria Road 2017

2017 View: By Hamish Crimp

This attractive corner bay villa was constructed in 1909, and was originally the home of New Plymouth businessman James Scanlan and his family.

This area of Town Belt C was originally subdivided into smaller suburban sections for J. C. George in 1893. Allotments 19 and 20 at the corner of Victoria Road and George Street were later purchased by Mrs Mary Lewis, who had them subdivided in April 1909. 

Following subdivision, the eastern allotment was purchased by Mr James Scanlan, who was at the time the New Plymouth manager of the Melbourne Clothing Company. Later that year, Scanlan commissioned noted New Plymouth architects Sanderson & Griffiths (James Sanderson and Horace Victor Griffiths), to design a new house for the section, with the firm advertising for tenders for the "erection of a residence at Vogeltown for Mr Scanlon [sic]" during early August 1909.

A 1912-13 rating book for Hurworth Riding notes Scanlan as the ratepayer for Parts 19 & 20 of Town Belt C, with the property valued at £42.

Scanlan later had the house at nearby 52 Victoria Road constructed in 1929.

See Taranaki Daily News, 2 August 1909, page 3

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion