Topic: Riddoch's Villa, 77 Hine Street (1901)

Topic type:

77 Hine Street 2017

2017 View: By Hamish Crimp

This attractive villa residence was constructed for Edgar M. Dell in 1901. Dell purchased part Town Sections 49 and 50 from John Mynott in June 1901.

At the time of the sale the property was vacant, with no house listed as being present on the section in the New Plymouth Borough Rates book for 1901-02. However, by the 1902-03 rating year, a house is listed as being present on the sections, and the property valued at £24.

The house seems to be complete by August 1901, when it was reported in the Taranaki Daily News that Mr Dell’s private residence in Hine Street had been connected to the telephone exchange.

Ownership of the property was transferred to Edith A. Dell via a Deed of Gift in August 1901. In November 1902, the property was purchased by railway foreman John William Riddoch, who retained ownership until December 1920, when the house was purchased by Jack Cliff. The property title was issued under the Land Transfer Act in 1927.

See: Taranaki Herald, 17 August 1901, page 2; Taranaki Land Deeds Index I13, page 359

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion