Topic: 241 Courtenay Street (1920)

Topic type:

241 Courtenay Street 2017

2017 View: By Hamish Crimp

This attractive bungalow residence was constructed by builder Robert Evans in 1920 as his private residence. Town Section 2051 was purchased by Robert’s wife Ella Sarah Evans (nee Kirby), from Kate E. Smith on 6 October 1920.

Later that month, on 27 October 1920, a permit was granted by the Borough Council to Robert Evans for the construction of a residence on Town Section 2034, Devon Street – Evans was the builder, and the estimated construction cost was £800. Whilst the section number and street have been entered incorrectly in the permit register, it is very likely this permit relates to the construction of the present house at 241 Courtenay Street, with Evans first appearing as living in this location on Courtenay Street in the 1921 edition of Wises Street Directory.

The section was subdivided in 1925, and the western portion containing the house was sold to Johnston McCarty.

See Taranaki Land Deeds Index I4, pages 209 & 212

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion