Topic: Bishop's Villa, 39 Newton Street (circa 1902-1905)

Topic type:

39 Newton Street 2017

2017 View: By Hamish Crimp

This attractive villa was likely constructed between 1902 and 1905, and was for many years the home of James Albert Bishop and his family.

On 31 May 1902, the Taranaki Herald reported that Messrs Callaghan and Co had sold sections 146, 147 and 148 of Fitzroy West to Thomas Rowe, and it seems he later on-sold the sections to James Bishop.

It's currently unknown exactly when James Bishop purchased the sections, or if the house was already constructed. However, it is known that Bishop sold his farm on Upland Road in mid-1904, and first appears as living in Fitzroy in the 1906 edition of Wises Street Directory. 

A 1907-08 Fitzroy Town Board rating roll notes Bishop as the ratepayer for sections 142, 144, 146, 148, 150 & 152 of Fitzroy - the rateable value of the property at this time was £412.

Bishop and his family probably lived in the house until about 1927, when he had a new bungalow constructed next door at 37 Newton Street. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Bishop's Villa, 39 Newton Street (circa 1902-1905)


City:New Plymouth