Topic: C. H. Moore Residence, 180B Omata Road (circa 1902-03)

Topic type:

180B Omata Road 2017

2017 View: By Hamish Crimp

This attractive villa was probably designed and constructed by Charles Howard Moore in late 1902 or early 1903 as his family home.

Charles Moore purchased this part of Native Reserve 1, Grey District, in September 1902, and first appears as living in 'Blagdon' in the 1903 edition of Stone's Street Directory - his occupation at the time is listed as a joiner. The Moore's remained at the property until 1921, when the farm was sold to 'Thompson'. 

On 15 May 1909, Moore became the overseer (later architect) to the Taranaki Education Board, and was responsible for designing, building, and maintaining school buildings across Taranaki. During the 1920s Moore developed the 'Taranaki Type Free Air Classroom', claimed to be an improvement on the 'Fendalton Type Free Air Classroom', and it became the dominant design for Taranaki School classrooms from the mid-1920s until the late 1930s.

See Taranaki Land Deeds Index I14, page 59.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

C. H. Moore Residence, 180B Omata Road (circa 1902-03)


City:New Plymouth