Topic: Arthur Standish's Residence, Wallace Place (constructed 1878-79 - demolished 1978)

Topic type:

Arthur Standish's Residence, Wallace Place, Whites Aviation Aerial Photograph, 24 August 1949

Cropped from Whites Aviation Aerial Photograph, 24 August 1949

This grand home was constructed for prominent New Plymouth citizen Arthur Standish in 1878-79, following his purchase of section 6 of 'Wallace Town' in February 1878. The home was located down the right of way immediately opposite the intersection of Morley Street and Wallace Place.

The architect for the home was Thomas Younger - who first called for tenders for a concrete foundation/basement for the home in late 1878, and then tenders for construction of the main building in early 1879. 

The new home was described in great detail by the Taranaki Herald in December 1897 (see linked article). The builders were Mr Sands and Mr Campbell; the painter was Mr Bellringer; the grand staircase was crafted by Mr Perry; Mr Russell was the bricklayer; Mr Mullet was the plasterer; the plumbing and spouting etc was installed by Mr Nicoll; the stoves supplied by Messrs J. Veale and Son; and the white marble mantlepiece supplied by Mr Gilmour. 

In later life the home was rented to a variety of different people, with a Mrs Murray living in one portion, and renting out the rest of the house during the 1960s.

The house fell into a state of disrepair, and by the 1970s was heavily vandalised - it was eventually demolished in 1978.

See: Taranaki Herald, 14 March 1978, page 1

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Arthur Standish's Residence, Wallace Place (constructed 1878-79 - demolished 1978)


City:New Plymouth