Topic: 46 Lyn Street (1930)

Topic type:

A permit was granted by the Borough Council to New Plymouth grocer Thomas J. Miller on 18 February 1930 for the construction of a house on Lot 163, corner Calvert Road (now Lyn Street) and Lorna Street – Miller was the builder, and the estimated construction cost was £450; this permit likely refers to the eastern (front) portion of the house.

Soon after, the house was purchased by William Ireland - he is listed as a 'labourer' in the 1934 edition of Wises Street Directory, and as a 'watersider' in the 1955 edition. 

In the 1960s a building (house?) from the old Bell Block Airport was transported to the site, and this is thought to form the western part of the house. 

It seems that a small shop was also attached to the front of the house - 1950s aerials seem to show this structure (since demolished).

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion