Topic: 46B Belt Road (1900)

Topic type:

46B Belt Road was one of three cottages constructed as investment properties for Mr C. Nelson in 1900 - all three cottages survive, and are located at numbers 46B, 48 and 50 Belt Road.

In late July and early August 1900, land agents Callaghan, Medly and Co called for tenders for the "erection of three cottages for Mr C. Nelson". Later, on 28 August 1900, it was reported in the Taranaki Daily News that Callaghan and Medly had sold three sections on Belt Road to Mr C. Nelson of Pahiatua - Likely sections 13, 14 and 15 of DP1517.

Soon after the cottages were complete, Newton King placed advertisements in the Taranaki Herald throughout February 1901, listing for sale on 'Belt Street' [sic], "three 3-roomed cottages (new), with quarter acre section to each. Price £350 cash". They were soon sold, although Newton King wasn't the successful agent, with the Taranaki Herald reporting on 13 March 1901 that land agent Mr Kirkby had "sold to Mr Gerald Clarke, Mr C. Nelson's three cottages and three full sections, on the Belt Road".

Clarke retained ownership of the properties for a number of years, with the value of each noted as £265 in the St Aubyn Town Valuation Roll for 1908-14 - a house is listed as being present on each section at this time. 

Whilst all the cottages have been altered to some extent, it is quite extraordinary that they have all survived, and there would be merit in restoring the facade of each cottage to it's original state.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion