Topic: 59 Pendarves Street (1879-80)

Topic type:

59 Pendarves Street 2017

2017 View: By Hamish Crimp


This home was constructed by/for Benjamin Tooke in late 1879 or early 1880 - it was originally located on neighbouring Town Section 1616, and fronted Gover Street. 

Town Section 1616 was purchased by Benjamin Tooke from L. S. Macdonogh in March 1879. Benjamin took out a mortgage against the section in December 1879, and this is thought to relate to the construction of the home, as in April 1880 Tooke advertised for sale "a newly erected four-roomed house" on the corner of Gover and Pendarves Streets. A map of New Plymouth compliled by Thomas Kingwell Skinner in mid-late 1880, clearly shows this house in its original position. 


Tooke House for Sale, TH 12 April 1880, p.3 

Taranaki Herald, 12 April 1880


The property was purchased by J. Cutfield in August 1880, and was subsequently rented to New Plymouth land agent Francis Peacock Corkill. In September 1885 Corkill listed the property for sale on behalf of Cutfield:

Sections 1616 and 1617, Gover and Pendarves Streets, opposite the Central School, with the nearly new buildings, at present occupied by Mr Corkill, whose lease will shortly expire. The house contains 2 parlors, 3 bedrooms, bath-room, kitchen with first-class English range, and scullery. The out-buildings comprise wash-house and dairy, carriage-house and harness room, poultry-house, etc. The sections are well-planted with choice trees and shrubs. (Taranaki Herald, 1 September 1885, p.3)

The property did not sell, but remained in the occupation of Corkill until about 1893, when he advertised his present residence on the corner of Gover and Pendarves Streets for sale as he was about to build on the Avenue Road - The property still appears to be owned by Cutfield at this time. The property once again failed to sell, and was purchased by Corkill from Cutfield in June 1895. 

Later in 1895, Corkill once again listed the property for sale, this time it was advertised as being "in the occupation of Mr Walter Ambury". In April 1900 Corkill finally severed his ties with the property when it was purchased by E. Watt - it appears to have been rented by Watt to his business partner David Laing. 

The property was sold to solicitor Henry Cecil Wright in July 1902, who occupied the home until march 1914, when it was purchased by T. W. Welch. In July 1917, Welch sold the property to car painter Thomas Albert Pruden. Thomas lived in the home for period until 1920, when a permit was granted to Pruden by the Borough Council on 1 November 1920 for the removal and re-erection of the home, from Town Section 1616 to Town Sections 1616-17 - Pruden undertook the work himself, and the estimated cost was £400. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion