Topic: 56 Morley Street (circa 1899)

Topic type:

56 Morley Street Northern End 2017

2017 View of Northern End: By Hamish Crimp

56 Morley Street is one of three similar cottages (56, 58 & 60 Morley Street) constructed on Part Town Section 287 in circa 1899. Additions in the 'bungalow style' were made to the northern end of this cottage in the 1920s-30s.

During the First World War the cottages were thought to have housed military personnel.

The cottages are not present on DP1252, surveyed in November 1898 for Mrs Henry Ward - although other structures on the surveyed sections, including the Ward's own house, are shown. 

The cottages can be seen in a circa 1900 photograph of the area taken from the Barrett Street Hospital site (see linked).

The cottage has significance as part of a cluster of Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century homes now uncommon in New Plymouth. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion