Topic: 72 King Street (1911)

Topic type:

72 King Street 2017

2017 View: By Hamish Crimp

This building was constructed for A. E. Sykes in 1911, following his purchase of the section in 1910. The Taranaki Daily News of 6 May 1911, noted that "Mr A. E. Sykes is just completing the erection of a substantial warehouse on King Street. Mr Sykes, with characteristic enterprise, is going in for manufacturing on a large scale and extending the wholesale department of his business". Later, on 21 August 1911, the Taranaki Herald published an article providing a description of the finished building (see linked).

It is one of the last wood and iron commercial buildings constructed in New Plymouth.

A permit was granted to A. E. Sykes on 28 February 1911, for the construction of a 'store' on Town Section 626 (incorrect - neighbouring section), King Street - The estimated construction cost was £792.

The building is notable for its association with successful New Plymouth chemist Alfred Sykes, and also for being one of only a few commercial buildings of this style to survive outside of Devon Street. the building is currently clad in fibrolite, although it does retain some of its original sash windows. 

If restored, along with neighbouring 76 King Street (constructed for A. E. Sykes in 1922), this building could make a significant contribution to the streetscape. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion