Topic: Standish's Building, cnr Devon and Liardet Streets (1909-10)

Topic type:

Liardet Street Building 2017

2017 View: By Hamish Crimp

This building was constructed in 1909-10 as an extension to a small wooden shop (since demolished), that was located on the present site of the 1929 Broome Building. 

A permit was granted to Arthur Standish on 13 November 1909 for the construction of additions to a building on Town Section 913, Liardet Street - J. Jones was the architect, and the estimated construction cost was £224.

Whilst the building is now part of Broome's Building on the corner of Liardet and Devon Streets (see linked topic), it seems this building was originally a separate shop. The first occupants were the Red Post Furnishing Company, although they only remianed in the building a short time after its completion.

The street appeal of the building could be greatly enhanced through restoration of the facade and use of a paint colour scheme highlighting facade details.

Arthur Standish owned part section 913 between 1898 and 1915.

See Taranaki Land Deeds Index I13, page 299; Taranaki Herald, 15 June 1909, page 4

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Standish's Building, cnr Devon and Liardet Streets (1909-10)


City:New Plymouth