Topic: Mrs Evans Residence, 78 Pendarves Street (1894)

Topic type:

This attractive home was designed by notable New Plymouth architect Frank Messenger for Mrs Elizabeth Evans in 1894.

78 Pendarves Street 2017

 2017 View

Town Section 1642 was originally part of the Ferndell Estate, purchased by land agent F. P. Corkill in the 1890s, and then subdivided and sold from 1893 onwards. 

In August 1894, it was reported that Corkill had sold Town Section 1642 to "Mrs Evans, recently from Home, who is about to erect a residence theron". Later, in September 1894,  an advertisment was placed by architect Frank Messenger calling for tenders for the construction of a cottage for Mrs Evans in Pendarves Street. 

The exterior of this home is in largely original condition, clad in rusticated weatherboard, with original sash windows and chimney. 

The home is notable for being one of Messenger's earliest surviving commissions in New Plymouth, being designed soon after his arrival in New Plymouth in 1893. Only two other Messenger designed New Plymouth homes from 1894 are known to survive - Willam Pellew's Villa, (58 Pendarves Street), and Penn's Villa (33A Timandra Street). 

The home currently has no protection from demoliton, removal or unsympathetic alteration. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion